Friday, November 12, 2010

Response pose to Adralyn

In this blog I have to agree and disagree on this blog from Adralyn’s Blog about proposition 19 the legalization of marijuana.
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California said Monday that he is glad Proposition 19, which would have legalized recreational marijuana use in his state, was defeated - even though "no one cares if you smoke a joint or not."
Pot legalization advocates are undeterred by the defeat of Prop. 19
They see the election as a trial run that could lead to a campaign with a better message, a tighter measure and more money. Both the winning and losing sides say California's voters rejected this specific initiative, but remain open to legalizing the easily obtainable drug.

In my opinion I disagree that when you mentioned “no one cares if you smoke a joint or not”, there is a lot of people that do. Such as me, I don’t want people to be smoking around me; its unhealthy and 2nd hand smoking is more dangerous than first hand smoking. But also put yourself in this situation: You have a child, and someone is smoking marijuana right in front of you, do you think you would care, I will. I don’t want to teach smoking is cool or any such related to that.
But also I do agree with you that marijuana should be legalized as I think such will put many drug dealers out of work and that shall decrease drug deals and maybe crime. I also think it would help our economy as we can put a tax on marijuana and gain more money on it while maybe… just maybe make people want marijuana less just because it too expensive. But I also think it could possibly lower crime rates with fighting over marijuana being ceased.
But I think we should at least put some policies on it, saying that you can only smoke it at home or areas reserved for it, because I’d rather it not be in some place where it’s public and people can breathe the toxic air in. As of that I think I have proven my point clearly enough

1 comment:

  1. I admire the way you try to highlight multiple perspectives on this issue. It's certainly complicated and there's no single "yes-or-no" solution to the problems and consequences of either prohibition OR legalization!

    My guess? It's going to get legalized sooner or later. It didn't happen this time, but the pressure seems to be building, and not just in California. I read somewhere recently that the first state to legalize (beyond just the "medicinal" front) might be Colorado...But who knows?

    ReplyDelete